Saturday 23 October 2021

Motherhood: Postpartum Period (Part 1)



 Hi everyone,


There are so many different things that happen to a woman after she has a baby. Some good, some bad and some you just want to forget. They call this period the Postpartum period or as I call it, the fourth trimester.



 

I want to talk about a lot of things but I will start with postpartum shedding or telogen effluvium which happens after childbirth. 

During pregnancy, my hair was thicker, longer, healthier, you name it. Apparently this happened because my oestrogen and progesterone levels were at the highest level. They dropped suddenly after childbirth which caused my hair to shed. 





Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to stop postpartum shedding but the good news is you can manage how you take care of your hair to reduce excessive shedding.

Here are a few tips that have helped me so far:

1. Wash your hair regularly (I wash mine every 2 weeks or if I have product buildup)… it’s very easy to let your hair go once you have a baby especially if it is in a protective style like braids. Your hair needs as much TLC as possible.
2. Avoid tight styles that will pull your edges. I had edges that had been missing for years when I was pregnant. Maintaining it now has been hard but I’m consistent so I haven’t lost too much baby hair.
3. Moisturise and oil your hair regularly to avoid your hair getting dry. Dry hair equals breakage! 
4. Deep condition your hair every wash day. Try and do a protein treatment once a month at least to strengthen and repair hair strands. Moisture treatment are great for hydrating your hair.
5. Protect your hair at night with a silk scarf or bonnet or pillowcase. 
6. You do not have to cut your hair but trim your ends to avoid split ends.
7. Avoid harsh chemicals from dyes.
8. Take your vitamins.
9. Drink loads of water.
10. Relax, you are doing an amazing job!!!


Jeans: Pretty Little Thing
Top: Fashionova 
Shoes: Ego Official
Bag: Chanel 


My go to hairstyle is single twists. It’s easy to make and easier to maintain. It also helps me keep my hair moisturized properly while protecting my strands and tips. 

Hope this post helps another woman who is struggling with her hair.

Bisous…xxx


No comments: